Wallpaper is a great way to add personality and style to any room. Whether you’re looking to create a feature wall or cover an entire room, wallpaper can be an easy and affordable way to transform your space. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about wallpaper installation, from choosing the right type of wallpaper to hanging it properly.
Choosing the Right Wallpaper
Types of Wallpaper
There are several types of wallpaper to choose from, including:
- Traditional wallpaper
- Peel and stick wallpaper
- Textured wallpaper
- Removable wallpaper
Consider the room you’re decorating and your personal style when choosing the type of wallpaper to use.
Wallpaper Patterns and Colors
When choosing a wallpaper pattern and color, consider the size of the room and the existing decor. A busy pattern may overwhelm a small room, while a bold color may clash with existing furniture and accessories. Neutral colors and subtle patterns are a safe choice for any room.
Preparing Your Walls
Before you begin hanging your wallpaper, you’ll need to properly prepare your walls. This includes:
- Cleaning the walls
- Removing any existing wallpaper or adhesive
- Filling in any holes or cracks with spackle
- Sanding the walls to create a smooth surface
Once your walls are properly prepared, you’re ready to start hanging your wallpaper.
Hanging Your Wallpaper
Follow these steps to hang your wallpaper:
- Measure your walls to determine how much wallpaper you’ll need.
- Cut your wallpaper to the appropriate length, leaving a few extra inches at the top and bottom.
- Apply wallpaper paste to the back of your wallpaper using a roller or brush.
- Starting at the top of the wall, align your wallpaper with the ceiling and press it onto the wall.
- Smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles using a wallpaper brush or squeegee.
- Repeat this process for each section of wallpaper until the entire wall is covered.
- Trim the excess wallpaper at the top and bottom of the wall using a sharp utility knife.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to make your wallpaper installation process go smoothly:
- Always work with a clean and smooth surface.
- Use a wallpaper calculator to determine how much wallpaper you’ll need.
- When cutting your wallpaper, be sure to match the pattern correctly.
- Overlap the edges of each section of wallpaper slightly to ensure a seamless look.
- Take your time and work carefully to avoid mistakes.
Wallpaper installation may seem daunting, but with the right tools and a little patience, anyone can do it. By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to create a beautiful and personalized space that reflects your unique style.